We all know that red wine and chocolate is a match made in heaven. There’s such a satisfaction that comes with finding a wine and chocolate pairing that complement each other so well. The richness of a Merlot paired with a dark chocolate cake? Yes, please! Red wine and chocolate are often enjoyed together – but separately – however, the game is changing. The idea, which has quietly been around since 2014, is that of a great one – take your red wine and take your hot chocolate and mix them together. It is incredibly rich, and incredibly delicious. The recipe is pretty straightforward: hot chocolate, red wine, and should you so desire, whipped cream.
If you’re looking for a more structured recipe, I recommend this one from Wholefully:
- ⅔ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ⅔ cup dry red wine (merlot, shiraz, cabernet sauvignon)
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup half and half
- 2 tablespoons sugar, optional (see notes)
- Pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine the chocolate chips, wine, milk, half and half, and sugar (if using) in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate chips are melted and the mixture is hot.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and salt. Pour into mugs and serve
Stay toasty, readers, and enjoy!